I am a newborn, maternity, and portrait photographer based in Memphis, Tennessee. Although I am based in Memphis, I am available to travel anywhere!!
I prefer to use natural lighting and do most of my sessions outdoors! I shoot in the morning before the sun is too high or two hours before sunset.
Here are a few suggestions for what to bring/wear for your session Also what to expect!
Newborn sessions are held in my studio, outdoors, or the clients home for a lifestyle session. Newborn sessions are anywhere from one to three hours. This allows time for feeding, cuddling, posing, and soothing your little one. Newborns are best to photograph within the first four to ten days. Usually no older than 14 days. I like to start Newborn sessions around 10am or 11am, when the natural lighting is best!
- nude is best for newborns, I do have pant sets and rompers.
- hats and headbands, I have a stash
- decide if you want any family photographs and have mom and dad in a simple plain color top.
Maternity sessions are best around 7-8 months when your bump is full, but also in time in case you deliver early. This session can be just mom-to-be, mom and dad, or the whole family!
- Layers! If you do a cardigan, try belting it right above your belly. The key is to show off that beautiful bump!
- Long flowy dresses are gorgeous.
- Tube top or bikini top if the weather is warm enough and you want the bare belly.
- Keep it simple without logos or busy patterns.
Families and Children
Family sessions are approximately one hour on location. If you have small children, be sure to plan on a break or two as well as bringing a bribe or snack for them as an incentive. I like to keep family sessions relaxed and fun. I prefer more natural and interaction shots. I may step back and let your family be you with a few suggestions to get you started.
- Avoid matching outfits, but rather find outfits to compliment each other
- Avoid clothing with logos
- Layering pieces work well! A cardigan, necklace, bracelets, scarf, etc can really change the look of your outfit and add so much interest to the photo!
Sessions are up to two hours long with as many different locations as we can cram into that time! We will hit as many spots as we can to ensure you have a variety in your portraits. There is nothing worse than seeing the same backdrop in photo after photo in your entire set. I like to move around and change it up. When we begin to discuss your session we will discuss the locations and the “feel” you want from your photographs. Are you a modern fashionista or a country girl? Would you prefer open fields or an urban alley? Downtown Memphis has a TON of different places that we can shoose to be unique to YOU.
- Do not be afraid of color! Also bring a variety, you can change as many times as you would like within your two hour session.
- Layering is key! Add a cardigan, necklace, bracelets, coat, scarves, etc
- Shoes always make the outfit: cowboy boots, rainboots, wedges, pumps, boots, converse, toms
- Dress for the location
- Bring items that show your personality: sports, hobbies, or interests
For more ideas on What to Wear, click here
If you would like ideas on how to display your art after our sessions, click here
Still have questions about your session? Please do not hesitate to e-mail email@example.com